This post is dedicated to the use of Alexa without Amazon Echo speaker, Echo Dot or Tap to use the voice assistant of Amazon because it is now available on Android and iOS mobile devices (iPhone, iPad). But before you start saying “Hello Alexa” to your Galaxy S9 smartphone or iPhone X, you need to know how to set it up and get Alexa setup help quickly.
This is one of the events of recent days: the range of speakers connected to Amazon is available in the USA. Users who wish so can start chatting with Alexa. It’s even possible to do it on your computer. It should be noted that Amazon had limited the Alexa application to HP, Lenovo and Acer brand computers but it is still possible to install it on any machine.
Use Alexa on Window 10
First of all, you will have to download the Alexa application file that was retrieved by the Windows Central website. Once the download is complete, unzip the file and launch the installer that is inside.
Install download Alexa app, not the Amazon app.
On the first window that appears, click on “install” and let the process proceed. It should only last a few tens of seconds. Once that’s done, you can find Alexa in the start menu of Windows 10.
When you first start Alexa, you will need to sign in with your Amazon account. This is an essential step in using the voice assistant, just as if you were using a connected speaker.
You will soon notice that the application only supports English at the moment and that some commands do not work. If you wish, you can go to the Windows settings – Personalization – Taskbar and select “Select icons to display in the taskbar” and activate the option that allows the icon of Alexa to always be visible in the taskbar.
Note that some testimonials indicate that the application does not work on all Windows 10 computers without it being possible to determine why. In any case, you can try to install Alexa and uninstall it if Amazon Alexa app not working.
How to install Alexa on an iPhone?
This may sound strange, but the iPhone installation of voice recognition Alexa is not done with one of the applications named Amazon Alexa in the Apple Store. Thus the apps “Ask for Amazon Alexa “or “skills for Amazon Alexa “are not Amazon services, but the RTA company. Save time and go your way the user notes are catastrophic.
Here, it is not a question of configuring the official Amazon Alexa application which makes it possible to control one of the compatible smart speakers. But, good news, if you want to do it online from your computer, it’s possible and in the USA on iOS devices.
Otherwise, the official app Alexa is also available since June 13, for free on your smartphone, via iTunes Apple Store.
The Alexa application is iPhone compatible in the USA since the version 9.5.0 of Amazon Shopping of April 4, 2017. In the USA, it has been since mid-June with the official launch of Amazon Echo: “Say hello to Alexa on iPhone! Tap the mic icon and ask to read, read, read, Kindle, Kindle Store Enjoy our latest update where we have some bugs”
So, you need to download the Amazon app that you use to order your products. Already usable on Android mobiles, Amazon should quickly add this option to also be used on the iPhone. Then you have to open the application.
How to install Alexa on an Android Mobile?
To use Alexa on your Android device, visit Google Play to download Alexa app for Android or one of these 2 apps:
- The Amazon mobile shopping app. The app with the Amazon logo and a blue caddy to use Alexa directly.
- Or the dedicated Amazon Alexa mobile app to drive your Alexa-enabled devices.
You can read in the description of the latest update of Amazon shopping: “Use Alexa to help you shop-just use your voice to search for products on Amazon, track your orders, and reorder your favorite items. “Clearly with Alexa, Amazon offers to do your product research, tracking your orders to make your purchases using just your voice.
- Go to your apps and tap Google Play Store
- Find Alexa in the Play Store and select Amazon Alexa.
- Tap the Install button and wait while the Amazon Alexa app downloads to your device.
Set Up Alexa on Your Android Phone
Once you have installed the Amazon Alexa app on your mobile phone, you will need to configure it.
- Tap Alexa in your application list to open the Amazon shopping app.
- Sign in using your Amazon account information, including your email address (or phone number, if you have a mobile account) and your password. Tap the Login button.
- Select Create a new account if you do not already have an account with Amazon. If you already have an Amazon account or once you’ve created a new account, sign in to the app using your email address or phone and password. Tap the Start button.
- Select your name from the list under Alexa setup help Get to know you. Tap I am someone else if your name is not on the list and provide your information. Once you’ve chosen your name, you can personalize it, using a nickname, your full name or what you prefer for Alexa to use for messaging and calling, although you must provide a first and last name. Tap Continue when you’re ready to continue.
- Press Allow (or not) if you want to allow Amazon to upload your contacts, which can help you contact your family and friends with Alexa. You may need to tap Allow a second time on a security pop-up window as well. If you prefer not to give permission at this time, select “Later”.
- Check your phone number if you want to send and receive calls and messages with Alexa. The app will send you an SMS to confirm your number. Tap Continue when you’re ready, or press Skip if you do not want to use this feature for now.
- Enter the six-digit verification code you received by text and press Continue.
That’s all there is to it! You are now ready to start customizing and using the Amazon Alexa app on your Android device.
Customize Amazon Alexa on Android or iPhone
Taking the time to personalize Alexa on your phone will help you get the results you want when you start using voice commands.
- Open the Amazon Alexa app on your phone.
- Tap Customize Alexa (if you do not see this option, tap the Home button at the bottom of the screen).
- Choose the device for which you want to personalize Alexa in the device list. You can also configure a new device.
- Select the settings that apply to you, such as your region, time zone, and units of measure.
- Use the Amazon Alexa app on Android mobile or iPhone
Once your Amazon account is created and the custom app you can access the Alexa icon located just below the cart in the upper right corner. To activate Alexa, you just have to press this button, a simple press will suffice.
When you first tap on Alexa’s microphone icon, a short Alexa information card will be displayed. Then press “Try Alexa”. After activating Alexa, typing on the microphone will automatically trigger the voice assistant, and you can start dictating a command. If you do not speak by saying a voice command in about a second, Alexa closes.
When the dark transparent window with a thin blue band at the bottom appears, you can use Alexa voice commands.
Now, when you tap the Alexa microphone icon, you can access all of Alexa’s features, and still from the Amazon Shopping app.
You can do things like listening to music from Amazon Music (or Deezer, Spotify…), listen to your audiobooks (or ask Alexa to read your Kindle books), control your connected objects in the house, listen to the news and so on. You can also launch skills to play games, get the details of the weather, play relaxing music to help you fall asleep…
So, with the update of its application for Android, Alexa is getting closer to its rivals. You can be informed of nearby restaurants or current movies in your area.
Advantages and Faults of Alexa on iPhone or Android
The main difference between the use of Alexa in the Amazon Shopping app and that of an Alexa speaker, like Amazon Echo is the very lack of the built-in speaker to stream music. But also the fact that you are the only one who can use your mobile phone.
Then, unlike Siri on iPhone, you cannot trigger Alexa voice recognition just with your voice. It will take each time through the Amazon app and press the circle icon Alexa. But it’s also an anti-hacking advantage that avoids unintended triggers that you might suffer (read the article about the risks of the Apple Home Pod).
The main interest of integrating Alexa into your smartphone is to be able to test voice control, Amazon skills and compatibility with compatible advertised connected objects (full list). In the end, we can regret that Amazon does not offer a dedicated application like that of Google Assistant. But you will easily understand that the purpose of the brand with the orange smile is to help you buy on the internet using its delivery service. Yes, at Amazon we think first and foremost that you have a great customer experience.
If you still find it troublesome to set up your Alexa for Android, iPhone, and Windows and need Alexa setup help, then contact us.